On Salt Air’s Cape Reinga tour you will experience it’s beauty, history and scenery from both the air and on land, with the added bonus of avoiding a long road trip if you are short on time. Our modern fixed wing aircraft accommodates up to 7 passengers ensuring each passenger has a window seat for perfect scenic viewing.
The initial stage of the tour consists of a flight up to Cape Reinga via Northlands spectacular harbours, such as the Whangaroa Harbour and the Rangaunu Harbour. We also pass across some beautiful beaches such as Coopers Beach, Doubtless Bay and of course the famous Ninety Mile Beach. From Ninety Mile Beach we then fly inland where we land at our airfield, which is only 20km from the Cape Reinga lighthouse.
Once on the ground a comfortable air-conditioned mini-bus will meet the aircraft. It will take you on a 2½ hour tour around the top of New Zealand. After a 20 minute drive, we reach the Cape Reinga Lighthouse where the Tasman Sea meets the Pacific Ocean. Our local guide will accompany you on your walk to the lighthouse, sharing the myths and legends or this very spiritual area. We then rejoin the vehicle for a short drive to Tapotupotu Bay where we enjoy a freshly baked light refreshment. There is time for a stroll on the beach, and a quick swim if desired, then we move across to the Te Paki quicksand stream with its giant sand dunes; (we have sleds available for those who wish to experience the exhilaration of sliding down the sand dunes and try some “sand surfing”).
The return flight to the Bay of Islands includes some of the most spectacular coastal scenery Northland has to offer. You will fly over the Parengarenga Harbour and Great Exhibition Bay, which are only visible by air or by sea. This area is very remote and without a doubt one of the most beautiful places in New Zealand with it’s pure white silica sand and crystal clear water. The flight also passes across the Houhora Harbour, the Cavalli islands, Kauri Cliff’s golf course and the spectacular Bay of Islands.
Summer Morning Tour: Pick up in Paihia from 7.45am, returning by 1.20pm or meet us at Kerikeri Airport at 8.15am, with the return flight landing at approximately 12.50pm. We offer complimentary transfers from Paihia accommodation and Paihia Wharf for Russell Accommodation.
Winter Morning Tour: Pick up in Paihia from 8.15am, returning by 1.50pm or meet us at Kerikeri Airport at 8.45am, with the return flight landing at approximately 1.50pm.
Please note: During the winter season due to wet weather it is possible that the aircraft can not land up at Cape Reinga, on these occasions we can offer a scenic flight only option that is extended to fly over the Cape area.
Availability and Booking Information
- If booking within 24 hours of departure please phone us for availability as you can not book online
- We will respond within 24 hours to confirm your booking and departure time, or offer alternative times
- Flights require a minimum of 2 people, however if 1 person we will aim to book you with other confirmed passengers
- Children are the same price as adults for ages 4 years and over. Infants are under 4 years and can fly seated on the lap of an adult with a charge of $75 for this tour.
- Flights are subject to weather
- When booking please provide your Bay of Islands accommodation location and the weight of each passenger in the fields provided.
- Prior to one week of travel - full refund
- Within one week and 48 hours of departure - 50% refund
- Within 48hrs of departure - no refund
- Cancellation by Salt Air due to weather or serious illness will not incur a cancellation fee.
Adverse weather conditions may mean that the scheduled itinerary cannot proceed as intended. If adverse weather means that you are unable to complete the full tour then any refund will be adjusted on a pro rata basis dependant on the flying time involved.